Sunday 15 October 2017

Morden Hall again, 14th October 2017

This weekend it felt like summer again, so I went back to Morden Hall yesterday morning. There was visible migration from the start to end, with the usual birds announcing their presence as soon as we arrived. Chiffchaffs, Nuthatches and Goldcrests were notably loud. As I was walking to the reedbeds, there were several Chaffinches in the trees, already more than I had expected. 
With the autumn migration just starting to take full swing, I was eagerly listening out for anything, and frequently looking skywards. This paid off (eventually.) I stood at the boardwalk viewing point for about an hour, and was well-rewarded with some decent birds. A single Lesser Redpoll flew over with a group of 20 Chaffinch. 8 Siskin flew slowly over southbound. I was rewarded with distant views of a f Peregrine being harassed by parakeets, with the same happening to a Kestrel.
However, the highlight was undoubtedly a Brambling which was tagging along with another large Chaffinch group, of around 40. I confess that it was my first life Brambling record - something I feel slightly ashamed to admit. 
Along with all these, up to 100 Herring Gulls came through with stray LBBs and Black-headed Gulls. 
With it being 23C, it wasn't surprising that there were quite a few butterflies around, with 9 Speckled Wood and 13 Red Admiral counted over 2.5 hours, as well as several Small Whites seen. 
Afterwards, I evaded a shopping trip by having a quick walk around a little area, called Kimpton Linear Park, which used to be disused Brownfield land, and is now a small green space - something hopefully local councils continue to do. Whilst there around 70 Starling, a Chiffchaff and also this fast-moving caterpillar were seen. 

caterpillar sp. (looks like either white ermine or ruby tiger motj)
However, the highlight of the week was undoubtedly on Thursday morning. At 08:12, While walking on a nearby road, I was stopped in my tracks by a small bird flying over, calling fairly loudly. Another first for me; although I'd seen them once in Spain last summer, it was my first British Hawfinch.
Over the last week a fair number have been seen throughout Surrey and London, especially in wooded and heath-like areas, so it wasn't a complete shock. 

2 comments:

  1. Well done on the Hawfinch Arjun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Steve, just been reading about your 6 this morning.
    I'm being greedy and hoping for a couple more!

    ReplyDelete