Tuesday 2 January 2018

RHS Wisley, 30th December 2017

Although previously promised that the 30th was reserved for me to choose where to go for a walk, we had to go to RHS Wisley - I was annoyed primarily because I was certain that my choice of Box Hill would be more rewarding, and I would be able to get a last minute 2017 Marsh Tit. However, since the camera is in for repairs at the moment it was fine, as there was nothing really photo worthy at Wisley.
Anyhow, when we arrived there were 6 Siskins and a redpoll sp. feeding in an alder in the car park. The last time I'd got good views of Siskins were in the Peak District last winter, so it was probably the highlight of the trip. 
Outside the main restaurant cafe, there were 45 or so Redwing feeding on the ground. I heard a few Fieldfare, but didn't see them. 
There was a Grey Heron and 2 Grey Wagtails along the river, and from the birdhide there were tons of small birds, Nuthatches and 5 Siskins more were feeding high in the trees in a Goldfinch group.
I found that what I thought was digiscope kit wasn't, but was actually an attachable 10x lens for my phone. So I just took a few pictures with my phone and new phone lens, which were all pretty bad.
Besides that there was a fine 1w male Pheasant on the base of the feeders, and a Treecreeper sidling around a tree.
That's it for 2017 then. 
As I've written this a few days late, I would lile to wish everyone a Happy New (birding) Year. 
Coal Tit

Etc.

2 comments: