Tuesday 19 June 2018

Morden Hall Park - more familiar surroundings! 22nd April 2018

3 days after returning from Greece, having been greeted by cold, dreary conditions, I was back to Morden Hall for the final Urban Rangers session of the summer for a while because of cricket taking over. Little did I know that when I arrived (late) at 09:45 with another late friend Lewis that we were having a Project Management Meeting about the upcoming summer project that I recently talked about, which was managing the wildflower meadows through heavy horses.
The meeting itself was very successful and as it was my first experience of something formal like this involving nature I enjoyed it a lot.
I was given my role of Nature Coordinator - this means I can do what I like anyway, which is learn more about the insects especially that live in the meadows at my patch.

Either way after the meeting I had a quick spin around the park to see what was around as spring had really hit now.
Part of my job was to learn and photograph what creatures were in the wildflower meadows so while walking towards the reedbeds I kept an eye on all the meadow areas. There was a huge abundance of butterflies as it was a nice day, and on top of all the usuals a Green-veined White was a first for me at the park. Bird-wise Blackcap and Chiffchaff were singing nearly everywhere, and the Reed Bunting were present as well (seems as if they're nesting this year.) Migrants were absent, and no Wheatear/Whinchat/Yellow Wagtail etc had dropped by. Before leaving I heard a Reed Warbler singing back on territory - a month and a day earlier than last year. To me this suggests that despite the hard weather in March causing a lot of damage to our birds it didn't impact some birds like the warblers. The undoubted highlight was a lone, surprise migrant f Whitethroat in the North Meadow, bringing my year list at Morden to 74. 

Didn't take too many pictures but here are a few.

Chiffchaff singing

Brimstone

m Blackcap

m Blackcap

No comments:

Post a Comment