Wednesday 30 January 2019

Morden Hall Park - December Birding

In September the Urban rangers and weekday volunteers helped created a marshland near the reedbeds at Morden Hall, which was previously sedge area. It was obviously targeting waders and marshland creatures, with the initial target birds Snipe, Jack Snipe, Green Sandpiper etc. By early November it was really looking good for these birds, as water was at a wading level suitable for these waders. It was still a surprise when the first Common Snipe was seen there by the nature group as I didn't expect them to find the marsh so soon. Then again what do I know!

A visit on the 2nd December had very little in store, but Nuthatches and Treecreepers were actively feeding by the boardwalk entrance, which was nice to see. There was also the pair of Peregrine circling the South Meadows and 3 Siskin, but all else was quiet. 

Peregrine

Nest - not sure what species but I'd hazard a risk and, since it was in a fairly low scrub area, say maybe a thrush or robin?

On the 8th December, I made another trip to Morden Hall earlier in the morning before meeting with friends having failed to see or find any Snipe for around 5 visits since their initial sighting. Typically the sun disappeared minutes after arriving, though it was nice to see the nature group who were doing surveys along the river. I then headed straight to the marsh area, and after 5 minutes I picked out a Snipe hunched up camouflaged on an area of sedge. I was pleased to finally get one at Morden, and was at the time as good as a rarity there for me. I then picked out another 2 wading further back, so I watched them for a bit before returning to the nature group so they could have a look as well. They showed well although distantly, and the zoom on my superzoom camera was tested up to the 1600x zoom or something. I did a patrol of the area, where a few Siskin flew over though I couldn't pin them down. There was a notable NW movement of Redwing, and I recorded 88 with just 2 Fieldfare. 2 Grey Wagtail and a Kingfisher were also present, making it a great day birding on patch. I then watched a tired redpoll sp. fly in, immediately feeding and barely moving. It was poor light and very cloudy, so getting any views for ID was pretty difficult. It was a Lesser, and a nice way to end the successful visit. 


Grey Heron

first Common Snipe at Morden Hall Park for me - really tested my eyesight... (1/3)

Common Snipe (1/3)

Lesser Redpoll

Lesser Redpoll

Common Snipe (2/3) - this bird is probably a first-winter 

Common Snipe (2-3/3) - both as above. Both probably first winters

Lesser Redpoll

Lesser Redpoll

Lesser Redpoll

f Kestrel

I returned for the final Urban Rangers session of the year on the 16th December, where we did some work in the woodland and then made a fire with food (jacket potatoes, drinks, biscuits and more,) which was a great way to end a brilliant, successful year at the park. Afterwards I had a chance to walk around again and it was a success to get the highest count of Snipe for the year, with 6 seen at the back of the marsh in their preferred area of green grass. After another Kingfisher sighting near a Little Egret, as well as a ridiculously late brood of Blackbirds in the woodland, I then managed to pin down the Siskins and was surprised to get a total of 30-50 birds feeding in alders along a quieter area. They were mostly happy feeding, so I got some nice views despite the poor light again. I finished the day with a female Grey Wagtail, which showed extremely well on one of the waterfalls near the bridges. I crouched down on the mud and she just walked towards me, so I got some nicer photo opportunities :)


f Grey Wagtail flycatching

f Grey Wagtail flycatching

f Grey Wagtail flycatching

f Grey Wagtail 

f Grey Wagtail

f Grey Wagtail

f Grey Wagtail

f Grey Wagtail

f Grey Wagtail


BHGs and Morden Hall

4/6 Snipe

2/6 Snipe

Snipe and Mallard

Snipe and Mallard

f Siskin

f Siskin

f Siskin

f Siskin

f Siskin

f Siskin

f Siskin


On Christmas Eve, I had a very last minute decision to go to the park instead of lazing around at home (permitting I got back with enough time to help with the cooking!) I hadn't got my stuff out of my bag by the time the Kingfisher flew by and landed on its favourite tree, showing superbly. By the time I eventually got onto it with my binoculars, it had moved into a more covered tree, but views were still pretty good. I managed to get some decent pictures for once, and they were probably my best Kingfisher pictures so far. I went to the marsh after, and the Snipe were showing distantly again, with around 3 birds seen (more were probably present,) while a Reed Bunting called distantly. After failing to locate the Water Rails (heard only) and having a possible Cetti's Warbler, the female Kingfisher flew by while 2 Grey Wagtail were present along the river. I then made an attempt at finding the Siskin, with a group in the reedbeds and another in the usual alders, showing well in the rare, good light. To conclude an already great birding day for Morden Hall, a Little Egret was fishing and showing extremely well near the white bridges, catching several stickleback just before I left. One of the best days of 2018 I'd had at Morden, and I was even home before 2:30pm..!


m Kingfisher

m Kingfisher

m Kingfisher

m Kingfisher

m Kingfisher - post catch

m Kingfisher

m Kingfisher

m Kingfisher - nearly got it



m Kingfisher

3 Snipe

3 Snipe

3 Snipe

Robin

Little Egret

Little Egret

m Siskin

m Siskin

m Siskin

m Siskin

Siskins favoured tree

Grey Heron

Little Egret with stickleback

Little Egret with stickleback

I returned for a brief walk on the 27th December where 5 Snipe were elusive, frequently getting flushed by the woodpigeon and then a dog - no longer surprising sadly. I headed down a quieter path to try and find the previously reported Green Sandpiper and had no luck, although 7 Teal was notable for the park. A couple of Grey Wagtail and the m Kingfisher were also seen, as well as 3 Little Grebe, 78 BHGs, 5 Common Gull, 12 Herring Gull, the f Peregrine and finally 40 Siskin along the reedbed walk. (I used eBird for the first time as well.)


Snipe

Cormorant

Wren

Wren

On the 28th I got a new camera lens while in London, having saved up for it for pretty much a few years, and on the 30th December I tried to get used to it a little at Morden. I didn't take any satisfactory pictures really as I played with settings, getting them all wrong, but the m Kingfisher continued to fish at close range so I've used a few artistic effects on it, while several Snipe were present in their now usual place (please see map below.) 

m Kingfisher - poor light and struggled with settings

It was a great way to finish 2018 which was, on the whole, quite disappointing. Morden Hall, once quite a messy, suburban park, is now growing into an important nature reserve, so hopefully I can pull out something good there in the upcoming months. 

map

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I came across your post while looking for some information on Morden Hall Park. I am keen bird/wildlife photographer (just a hobby enthusiast) and I was wondering if you could provide some tips especially on the kingfisher(s). (For example location of its "favourite tree" as mentioned in your post and where you can get reasonably close to it for photographing it).
    Many thanks
    Anand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anand. Sorry for the delayed reply. Currently its tricky to photograph anything at Morden Hall but by November it will be much easier, especially the Kingfishers. If you walk to the two small white bridges past the stableyard, look NW to where the two channels meet. Here there is an overhanging tree on the water, which is the favourite place in the winter for the male Kingfisher. If yo're even luckier at a quiet time of day (best is early morning or late afternoon in good weather) he'll be perching on another tree slightly closer to the stableyard that also overhangs the water. Grid Reference is approximately TQ260687. Alternatively head down the channel on the opposite side or the river near the Surrey Arms Pub. Hope that helps. Arjun

      Delete