Wednesday 8 November 2017

Up and down the country, 31st October to 1st November 2017

After a bit of rest on Sunday and Monday, my dad and I drive up to Knutsford again then Manchester to watch the Champions league match between Manchester United and Benfica. On the way there, through Oxfordshire etc there was a ridiculous amount of Red Kites with 41 counted in Oxfordshire alone on the way up. Also seen was a group of 60 Lapwing or so that got spooked by a juvenile peregrine near Knutsford.
On the way back, I was hoping to stop off at Otmoor RSPB but that didn't happen. Nonetheless, having listened to a Steve Backshall podcast in the car about his life, and walking along the river near Marlow in Buckinghamshire, we stopped off around there for a walk along the River Thames. With Red Kites flying through constantly, even with limited camera ability it was a good chance to practise some flight shots. While walking along the river towards Marlow, I suddenly heard a pipit sp. calling and then flying NW towards the Little Marlowe Gravel Pits, and I could say fairly confidently that it sounded more like a Water Pipit. With it being regarded as a 'rarity' in Bucks I couldn't be bothered to submit the sighting in, as the hassle that has occurred in the past, like the Spotted Crake, frustrated me and made me give up the thought. 
Anyhow, for the next hour several Great Crested Grebes showed well, and lots of other birds flew around, making it a very nice walk. Towards the end I started finding a little bit more, with a few Lesser Redpolls feeding in a tree across the river and a possible Brambling flew off the path ahead of me. 
Although fairly quiet besides the Kites and Pipit, it was a nice walk!

Red Kite
Red Kite 



Red Kite

Red Kite (nearly got it)

No comments:

Post a Comment