Wednesday 13 March 2019

Spring/Summer Target Birds

Although I've got GCSEs to get through between May and June, I've still got a few species that I'm aiming to see in the coming months, and with DofE taking me to some decent places I could be lucky...


  1. Grasshopper Warbler - a bird that I've just never had the chance to try and find, so I'll hopefully get to somewhere good for them after exams finish, perhaps the Essex area? Not an easy bird to get, but one I've wanted to see for a long time...
  2. Kittiwake - arguably my easiest lifer in the UK, although my location and their decline has made them pretty tough to see. A nice trip up North or even another coastal area - any reliable sites nearer me would be appreciated - could get me this bird.
  3. Little Tern - although I saw them in Spain last year (and quite well) I've not really been to somewhere at the right time for them, but hopefully if I get a chance to go somewhere along the South Coast I'll end up lucky.
  4. Phalarope sp - a bit ambitious being where I am in Surrey, but with a bit of luck towards the end of summer at peak passage time it would be nice to get either of the two phalaropes, because they really are cool birds...
  5. Ring Ouzel/Wood Sandpiper - both birds I hoped to see at Beddington but seeing as that's not going too well and I'll have less chance to get in on the right day I doubt I'll see either of these two, though if I head up to the Peak District I could get the Ouzel. As for the sandpiper, I feel as if they've got a bit scarcer in Surrey over the last 2 years - used to be more reports of them? - but I might get lucky. Might.

No comments:

Post a Comment