Tuesday 14 February 2017

Beddington Park, 14th February 2017

After feeling bored throughout the morning, my mum, my sister and I decided to get up and go to Beddington Park for a quick afternoon walk. As we left the house, all the birds went up as a Red Kite flew straight over. It was a surprise, and I hadn't got the camera out yet.

When we drove into Beddington Park, things almost got off to an absolute disaster or if you like, a flyer. A smallish bird flew right across, making me yell, 'Mind the robin.' 
The robin with bright blue - We almost ran over a Kingfisher.
After 5 minutes of searching, we found it fishing on the opposite side of the river, further away than I'd wished for a picture.
Kingfisher
We then just went for a general walk around the lake, where Teal and Mallard lazed around. Several Little Grebe swam around the bare islands.
Little Grebe

Teal
My sister found a Mallard with a bluish-grey bill; I would appreciate any ideas on why the bill's this colour?
Bluish-grey beaked Mallard
We carried on walking. A Robin followed us for around 300m, singing all the way.
Robin
Then my mum spotted a Little Egret, fishing peacefully away from the dogs. Also nearby, a Little Owl was calling but I couldn't find it in the woody area - I am yet to see every type of British owl except Tawny Owl (even if I woke up at stupid o'clock in the Brecon Beacons as a Barn Owl lived down the road.)
Little Egret

Little Egret
Little Egret

Little Egret
Once it flew into a tree, spooked by a dog, we started trudging back to the car.
On the way back some Mute Swans swam calmly on the water.
Mute Swans





No comments:

Post a Comment