Sunday 12 February 2017

Poulter Park, 12th February 2017

Having had a cold, I woke up with the need to go out for a walk this morning.
So when I read that the Siberian Chiffchaff was still present at Poulter Park nearby in Morden, my mum was willing to take me. 
However, as I had never been to this park before I had no idea what it would be like.

When we arrived, a female Sparrowhawk flew over in the heavy wind.
Then when we got to a Wooden Bridge where the Chiffchaff had been seen at, straight away a bird appeared in an overhanging tree on the opposite side. Although fairly obliging in the tree, it still flitted around, always covered by branches. However, it was not what we were looking for.

Common Chiffchaff
As we watched, several more birds came into view including 3 Goldcrest and a Grey Wagtail. Another Chiffchaff joined the party.
Grey Wagtail
Chiffchaff

Goldcrest
Then the tristis gave several calls from our left in a nearby bush, and flew right across the river joining the Goldcrest group. Since there were now so many in the tree, I could hardly tell with all the movement which the tristis was. 
Siberian Chiffchaff

Siberian Chiffchaff


Then, to my amazement, a Firecrest began singing with several more Goldcrest behind me. My mum saw the bird, while I watched it fly past. Frustrating.
It reappeared several minutes later, but didn't stay long enough for a picture.
A Redwing appeared as we departed soon after, as did a Song Thrush when we returned home.
Redwing

Song Thrush

Overall, another successful birding day!

No comments:

Post a Comment