Saturday 24 June 2017

Last few weeks and Morden Hall Park, 24th June 2017

Apologies for no recent posts, as I have been in the middle of an exam period at my school. While revising I have been drooling at the number of sightings coming in from nearby; a week long Red-Footed Falcon at Frensham, which we'd planned to see today had it stayed. The Elegant Tern down on the coast, as well as a Red-backed Shrike today at Thursley.
However, I have seen many little things, some unusual, some I've forgotten, everywhere.

26-May: A hawkmoth sp. was seen by my sister in our garden at 21:15 one night, but not seen again. After a Lime Hawkmoth flew onto a friends arm in Carshalton last July, she suspected the same species!
28 May: On route to India vs New Zealand in London, a Cinnabar Moth was flying around the tube.
June: A young robin has been commanding our garden, chasing adult Goldfinches off.
June 16: While waiting for a physio by Mitcham Common a Cuckoo briefly appeared, sang, then flew off. 
June 23: A pair of Blackcap have bred at school, distracting me considerably during me exams as they sing and chase each other around the entrance area!
June 23: A Hobby chased some Swifts over Wimbledon Common in a drive through.
June 24: Another cricket match near Woodmansterne held 5 Swallow, 2 Blackcap, 1 Chiffy, 9 Pied Wagtail, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Nuthatch and more owl reports without me seeing anything.
June 25: I found a Box moth at Putney Heath, as well as a few more common bird species.  


After a cricket match in the morning, the quickest walk in Morden Hall was quiet with a small shower causing all the butterflies reported to disappear, frustratingly. While the Reed Warbler sang briefly and 2 Blackcap and 2 Chiffchaff were around, the only butterfly found happened to be a Ringlet in the meadows, while Banded Demoiselles flew around and the breed of Grey Wagtails bobbed about on the channels. One Peregrine was seen when we left, chasing a few pigeons.


'Feed me'

Grey Wagtail

(What is this insect?) 

f Blackcap

Grey Wagtail

Grey Wagtail

Banded Demoiselle

No comments:

Post a Comment