Friday 16 February 2018

Morden Hall Park, 12th February 2018

On my Monday, I spent the whole day volunteering at Morden Hall.
From the time I was volunteering, 10am to 4pm, I also continually looked around to see whatever I could.
Throughout the day, very little was seen but from the paddock 4 Mistle Thrush, 1 Common Buzzard high N, 3+ Sparrowhawk and also 3 Hawfinch were seen, as well as 4 Cormorant. 
At the end of the day, I had a quick walk to the reedbeds, stopped only by a woman asking about what could be seen and when/where to see a Kingfisher in the park, only until the resident male decided to come and sit on a nearby branch with a fish. 
I just wish some other birds were just this obliging. 
Either way, the reedbeds were quieter than usual, and 2 Water Rails were heard not seen.

The volunteering itself was enjoyable, and talking to little kids about the outdoor things was often a challenge, but I enjoyed it. If I'm honest, since it was more about gardening and garden maintenance I probably learnt more than them!


I'm feeling a little bit frustrated this week, as although I have very little going on myself due to a variety of reasons I can't really go birding or for walks, even with some good birds being seen. Having made nearly 10 ticks in the first 6 weeks of 2018 and seen other great things as well, I'm being quite greedy. But I feel, if I go to the Bramblehall Wood/Juniper Top/Box Hill area, I'll be treated with a spectacle of Hawfinches - I haven't had a single bird perched yet, as well as get my Marsh Tit.
Oh well. 
Hopefully these birds hang on until I eventually go there. 
I'm eyeing up Sunday...

No comments:

Post a Comment