Saturday 17 February 2018

Richmond Park, 15th February 2018

I was fully hoping to get to Bramblehall Woods in order to see the Hawfinches a few days ago, but as I wasn't familiar with the place and had to go somewhere by myself I was limited in where to spend my afternoon. So I settled with a visit to Richmond Park. 

Already frustrated at not going to Bramblehall, the day got infinitely worse when the camera decided to die again - after flickering for half an hour it then refused to turn on, making me feel a lot angrier, especially as we just had it repaired. 

Either way, when I eventually had a wander towards Pen Ponds 3 Kestrel (2f 1m) and 2 Common Buzzard made an appearance. When I got to the fence, a quick scan through the binoculars revealed a Little Grebe* and 7 Pochard, on top of common species. 
Following directions that I'd helpfully received from Steve W, I walked across to the eastern heath areas of the Lower Pen Pond in the search for a good view of a Dartford Warbler. On the way I stopped to look at the lower pen pond, and as I do got excited when I saw a bird resembling Ring-billed Gull on the main lake, but I continued walking quickly when I realised I was being a bit hopeful. 
When I reached the heath, almost immediately a dog flushed a Snipe, which rushed towards the Upper lake. I continued walking, and a small bird caught my eye. The first Stonechat - which flew away. I walked around to the furthest part from the centre of the ponds, and while walking along a path a smaller bird flew out of one of the clumps of grass and low across the ground, into another. I followed it for a bit at a distance, and it was eventually found to be a f Dartford. As I couldn't get closer, I admitted defeat but had another encounter with the Stonechats; this time 2f and 1m, with the Dartford with them some way away.

Soon after, I was lucky enough to meet Paula, who showed me where one of the other 3-4 Dartfords were. When we got there, almost immediately an individual bird flew low across, identically to the earlier bird. Although originally thought to be a Wren, when it hopped up onto a clump for a few seconds it was the f Dartford, and showed briefly but well at close range. After following it for a bit, we got a few more glimpses from up to c. 8m away as it stayed low and then it disappeared. Thanks Paula, as now I know where to look! After Paula left, I hung around for a bit and another female Stonechat appeared. And then the ping of the Dartford as it flew low again. Then the moment of absolute anger - the bird obligingly hopped up onto the clump, 10m away, sitting there for nearly 10 seconds. Just to add to my woes my phone died, so I just got the great views no pictures. 


For those interested in seeing it, it was ranging widely, but showed well from the grid ref. TQ1940472400. 
The next few days have been quiet, and only 50 Herring Gulls and a 1cy Great Black-backed Gull have been of interest. 
Hopefully I get a chance to go somewhere in the next few week.
Can you find the female Stonechat?   
*what I thought to be a Little Grebe, though I saw it from long way off, and it looked quite large. Even through binoculars it was hard to tell; might require an extra look/check. 

No comments:

Post a Comment