Saturday 29 July 2017

LWC Barnes, 28th July 2017

Yesterday we met up with family at Barnes allowing me a chance to try and spot anything of interest. 

Being a boring time of year, with barely anything of note except an Arctic Tern flyby before getting there, I wasn't as excited as I normally would be. Between the Dulverton and WWF hides there was nothing of note except lots of Sand Martins whizzing over, and Greenfinches, tits, the yellow-billed Moorhen and Robins at the feeders. A family of Reed Warblers flew around in the trees, driving me mad.
juv Greenfinch
From the WWF, I spotted a duck which reminded me of a female Wigeon. For good reason; it was a female Wigeon! A surprising bird to see, but it does show that autumn is coming! 
fem Wigeon
Once it started pouring with rain, I reached the Peacock Tower and spent a good time around there. There were lots of Sand Martin, Lapwing, ducks and also a Black-headed Gull feeding its chick. Though I saw one of the young Lapwing, it was miles away and I couldn't get a picture.  

Lapwing

Starlings 

Black-headed chick feeding time

Teal?
 At the bottom, there were Reed Warblers in the sun after the downpour, and butterflies fluttered around.
Meadow brown

Reed Warbler
Emperor Dragonfly

Reed Warbler with caterpillar
After a quick lunch, I headed to the Wildside, en route stopping at the Headley Hide where a Sparrowhawk briefly disturbed the gulls. The Wildside was also busy with Sand Martins. It was the butterflies which stole the show however, with blues, Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers, Small Heaths, Painted Ladies, Red Admirals and a first for the year through a Small Copper. A Six-spot Burnet also posed. 
Sand Martin

Six-Spot Burnet Moth

Common Blue

Small Copper
Common Blue

Small Copper

Gatekeeper

Meadow Grasshopper
A quick walk down the South Route had a Common lizard on a post and a damselfly. 

Common lizard

Beautiful Demoiselle?

No comments:

Post a Comment