Friday 29 December 2017

Little Woodcote & Telegraph Track, 28th December 2017

After spending a few days at home, I set the scope up from my window on the 27th to practise a bit of digiscoping.
So yesterday in the early afternoon, while casually looking through it again to watch the Redwings and a group of pigeons getting terrorized by a Sparrowhawk, the Sparrowhawk suddenly abandoned its chase and flew upwards, kindly bringing me onto a Red Kite. After it gave me some nice views from about half a km away, another one swooped down to help its mate out.

Before dusk, I went for a walk with my mum along Telegraph Track - it runs behind the 'Little Woodcote' fields, and was recommended to me by Peter. 
There are Redwings pretty much everywhere now, and about 50 were seen by the time I'd got home. 4 Yellowhammer flew over the track and began feeding in a field, a pair of Redpoll (some interesting info about them on Steve's blog) flew over the track, and in the carpark of the Woodcote Garden Centre a Siskin was feeding with some goldfinches. A Kestrel was snoozing, and a single Skylark flew over the main road on the way back. Since it's quite close to home, it will probably be somewhere I target in the spring/autumn where migrants like Wheatear and Ring Ouzel are likely to be seen. 

Kestrel

Kestrel

No comments:

Post a Comment