Wednesday 20 December 2017

Morden Hall Park Rails, 20th December 2017

I managed to get back to Morden again today for a couple of hours. After (unexpectedly) seeing two school-friends fishing, I headed towards the reedbeds, with my main aim to find the Firecrest(s.) 

The first circuit held nothing of interest other than 2 Cormorants, 30 Redwing and 3 Greenfinch. On the second circuit I was stopped first by the Cetti's Warbler [Area 8], then by a pair of Kestrel [Area 4] diving next to the reedbeds - I knew I'd seen a mouse there somewhere - and then by a calling Water Rail [Area 6]. I managed a 5 second sighting of the rail preening before it disappeared back into the reedbeds. Also seen were another 40 Redwing, the odd Fieldfare and a couple of GSWs mostly in [Area 12]. On my final loop of the boardwalks, a few more birds put in an appearance. 3 more Water Rails [Areas 3, 8 and 10] made it 4 (different ones) for the day, all in different areas, and were all heard (and 2 of 4 briefly seen.) 
I managed a video of the first one calling. A Peregrine [Area 9] flew over, and some gulls also flew over. A Grey Heron was causing a racket on the river, and the dozens of Wrens made the boardwalk deafening.
To finish, 30 more Redwing, 2 Song Thrush, a group of 6 GSWs and also finally a Siskin [Area 11] saw me out.

Today had one thing missing though; let alone the Firecrest I didn't hear nor see any Goldcrests which was a surprise as normally there everyone. Not sure why that might have been.

I have attached a map of the reedbeds - it's split into areas so it's easier to name where I've seen everything and to give directions to find something. The birds above with the 'Area X' label code to this. 

Cormorants

The only picture I got of the Water Rails - it's woeful

Kes

1w Black-headed Gull

Redwing

Song Thrush - one of my favourite birds

Song Thrush


The camera is still taking pictures through the main Display/screen, despite the fact that the viewfinder has misted up - I really hope that it doesn't mean I have to get a new camera again. I need to get it fixed over the Christmas before the main gull movement begins (Icelands are back at Beddington already) so as 2 posts ago if you know any good places near Croydon please do comment below - thanks. 

2 comments:

  1. So amazed and delighted by your sightings. I think there is a song thrush currently inhabiting the rose garden - beautiful brown speckled bird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for my late reply I missed your comment...
      Thanks you - It's always nice to see them at MHP but it's much better when they're singing.

      Delete