Saturday 16 December 2017

Morden Hall Park, 16th December 2017

The past week has been a bit dull; with the temperatures being cold I've not spent much time outdoors and when I have I've barely seen anything. Even the gulls have been staying away from school.
This morning I spent a little time looking out the window watching the gulls coming over at around lunchtime, as well as the smaller birds like Redwings.
I had a 'white-winged gull' of sort come over at 1ish - it might have been a nice Iceland Gull as one was seen at Beddington this morning - but it was too brief to be able to tell. 

In the afternoon I got about 40 minutes at Morden Hall before it became too dark - barely time to see anything let alone something good.
Other than the countless Wrens and Goldcrests it was quiet, although the reedbeds were ridiculously loud with roosts of Jackdaw and Parakeets forming nearby. 
While heading back I was stopped by a tiny riverside bush moving, and a rodent came out and hurriedly darted towards the river. At first glance it looked like a Wood Mouse, but when it turned around I was pleased to see a flat nose, proving it to be a Water Shrew. If it was that it would be nice, as I've never seen one before, but with the fading light it was too hard to tell from a view lasting 2 seconds.
As Christmas is starting on Wednesday for me, my main target is to have a trip to Richmond Park to try and finally get my Dartford Warbler at some point soon.

I've done some work on the blog itself, with guides to birding at Morden Hall and Beddington Park - (though I must warn you that Beddington is said to be dangerous when it starts getting dark.)
I have also included links to good birding sites/resources, as well 'Feedjit,' telling me where views are coming from - most seem to be from the local area!

No comments:

Post a Comment