Tuesday 17 April 2018

Greece, Day 1 - arrival at Athens! 5th April 2018

I'll keep this post short as there's not much to say!

Nearly a fortnight ago I was up at 6am, eagerly anticipating a Classics trip with school to Greece. I got to school at 7am, and we set off for Heathrow shortly after. While the journey was quiet - teenagers made to get up early in a holiday was never going to be lively - when we arrived at Heathrow, checked in and passed security, we had some breakfast and wandered around the terminal. I managed to find a pair of Kestrel that seemed to be nesting in the roof, but that was all. 
At around 11:30am, we set off for Athens. The journey was pretty peaceful, besides the guy who sat next to me and didn't stop talking/just generally was a nuisance throughout. 
By the time we arrived it was late afternoon, and I was still tired. 

I liked the look of Greece from the moment we got on the coach - though a little similar to Spain it seemed much greener, which I preferred. Even the journey into the city was interesting - my first House Martins of the year were circling the coach, and a Caspian Gull sat on a lampost - my first Swifts also circled the buildings. Plenty of Yellow-legged Gulls flew over as we travelled into the city, and from the road we had some stunning (probably going to use this word a lot) views over Athens. 
When we arrived at the hotel most of the evening was spent chilling inside, and we eventually went to bed, in preparation for a long trip to the ancient ruins of Delphi. An incredible week was ahead of me..!

No comments:

Post a Comment