Sunday 15 April 2018

Little Woodcote - further disappointment! 15th April 2018

After being a morning, if not day, off of revision, I had nothing better to do than head off for a morning walk at Little Woodcote. I arrived at around 9am, and to be honest very little was seen for the rest of the morning. A Raven flew N, being mobbed fiercely by some of the other corvids present - mostly C Crows. A flock of 6 Linnet was located near the Little Owls' tree, while 3 other singles were seen later on. Typically the owls weren't around at all, though a pair of Green Woodpeckers were entertaining on their tree. The only migrants found were 4 Blackcap, while other birds included 7 Skylark, Song Thrush, Common Buzzard, 16 Chaffinch and a single mystery flyover - a small bird with a group of Chaffinch with a flight call resembling Crossbill. Either way that was another nice miss. 
When I got home and noticed that a Hoopoe had been at the farmlands with plenty of birders seeing it I was mildly frustrated, wishing that I was slightly older and had the pleasure of knowing more birders that could have let me know/in. Unless I get a miracle tomorrow morning - like the farmlands opening up before school starts at 1040am - it's going to be another rarity that I miss. Yes I get it, I need to stay patient. But first Hoopoe in 50 years is going to be a long wait... 

I'm yet to get the time to download and do a write-up for my recent time in Greece with my school (Classics Trip.) Spoiler - I found myself a Hoopoe then, for very brief views. Oh well. 
Another day rolls on...

No comments:

Post a Comment