Monday 30 April 2018

Greece, Day 3 - nature and sports in Olympia, 7th April 2018

After a very early start, with breakfast at 06:45am, we were on the coach at 07:30am ready for our 3 hour coach journey to Olympia. We set off, and then stopped after a kilometer or so as the driver had left something behind. While he recovered this we were parked in a wild area with gorse-like bushes all around - though the sun wasn't fully up yet it was a great time for some birding. And guess what I was next to the master-eyed Alex - while I checked every Chaffinch and Goldfinch the first time he looked up from his phone he said what's that on the wire. At first I ignored it as another Chaffinch and then I checked again, just before we started moving, and it was actually a Cirl Bunting. A hurried picture was pretty bad, but my own fault for ignoring it. I then spent the next 45 minutes looking for one of my most wanted birds, the Shrikes, having read they were seen around there. After a long time in vain, I was about to put the brain away for once again I was still really tired, when I spotted a Shrike on a line right in front of coach. I'm pretty sure it was a Lesser Grey, but was pleased to have even got a glimpse. Then after what felt like an eternity I managed to fall asleep. 

I was awoken shortly after, initially to my dismay, by the person next to me, as we were stopping at a service station. I got a few presents and drinks etc, then went back outside with a few friends to take some pictures of the Rio-Antirion Bridge (said to be the longest suspended bridge - 1.8 miles - in the world.) While taking pictures I heard a bird singing in a nearby field, and a Zitting Cisticola flew off. Then a Cuckoo started up as well. I then became aware of another bird actually in the car park. A smallish bird was scuttling around the coach, calling frequently, helping me to identify it as a Crested Lark. It showed pretty well before heading across the fields. 

Cirl Bunting (crap photo)

Crested Lark

Crested Lark - staring down the asian boy with camera

Crested Lark

Rio Antirion Bridge
After a couple more hours we arrived in Olympia. Not only was it nearly 30C but the sun was intensely hot.
We started walking towards the ancient Olympics site, the reason why we were visiting, and warblers were singing everywhere, with Blackcaps and Cetti's and Garden Warblers all by the river. As we walked around, tons of Chaffinch were busy among the ruins, and unbelievably my first ever Hooded Crows - taken me a long time - flew over. Some Balkan Green Lizards were basking in the sunshine as well making the morning thoroughly enjoyable. It was one of my favourite days as some of the old structures were fascinating to learn about. Some of us even took part in a race on the '100m' track, which was amusing to watch.
We soon visited the Archaelogical Museum, where we continued learning about the ancient Olympics. Some of the models were unique, as in I'd never seen anything like them in England. 
With a long morning, we were all thankful to have lunch, which was quite a good laugh as well.
The afternoon and evening was mostly relaxing, as we were given the chance to explore modern Olympia and collect souvenirs. I decided to, as a surprise for my friends, to not take my camera or binoculars with me. I can tell you they were shocked :)
Due to it being Easter in Greece, there were fireworks at midnight so we all had a late but calm night. 

Olympia

Balkan Green Lizard

Chaffinch
As usual I didn't get many pictures of the good birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment