Saturday 23 September 2017

Migration watch, 17th September 2017

I forgot about this one too.
Last Saturday, having been feeling a bit horrible all morning, I went outside for an hour or so to see what might be coming over. It started off well - 3 Meadow Pipits flew over, calling to help confirm their ID. Fortunately, it fits my criteria for a 'garden record.' (If directly above our house, or half way over our neighbours on the left.) Over the next 45 minutes, with the skies continuing to clear, a falcon was very high up, constantly disappearing over little clouds. Looks like a Peregrine to me. 
A Sparrowhawk was chasing pigeons a fair distance away for a good while. The first Blackcaps have returned, with a pair (and finally a male!) hanging around. 
3 Common Buzzards came over, 2 together, and a Red Kite also came over, heading south at a fair pace. Another great record came over too - a large juv/type Yellow-legged Gull; I could make out the dark smudge behind its eye, as it came reasonably low. This one didn't count a 'garden record' unfortunately, as it came over the road. 


Peregrine?

Peregrine?
Over the week, 2 Chiffchaff were calling at Wilson's School, and the Blackcaps have continued to entertain me. On the 21st, I didn't quite get the spectacle experienced at Canon's Farm and Banstead Woods by several birders, but had 50 House martins, and 20 Swallows flying around for 5 minutes at 8am. 

2 comments:

  1. Some birders, me included, count any bird seen from the garden on the garden list 😈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit it's a bit weird, but I guess ever since I've since I started birdwatching I agreed that anything seen from the garden had to come nearly over the house.
      Not too late to change it though, that would give me a garden Osprey tick :)

      Delete