Monday 4 September 2017

The problem with being a nature-enthusiast

It really has been very boring after being back in Surrey. My poor life bird list only stands in the 170s, and since I can barely get out of the house, let alone the county, at the moment I can't see it budging for a good while! Liking nature does have its downfall - sometimes very little happens for what feels like a long time.
Last week, we went up to the Peak District and Knutsford for a couple of days - we saw the Manchester United-Leicester match then came back home overnight. During those few days, we had a night with cousins in Earl Sterndale, where a morning walk produced several Nuthatch and Chiffchaff, a Wheatear which my mum saw but I didn't, a ton of Buzzards and a probable Osprey which was heading SE. We also went for a walk in Tatton Park, Knutsford. Along with loads of deer, there was, of course, a Stonechat, Great Crested Grebes, a Whinchat and a Water Rail. I was without the camera or telescope, and just had my binoculars. I got very bored, and even tried a phone x bino scoping, which somehow, just about, pulled off.

Red Deer
I finally got some good news, having been asked to a junior volunteering camp at Arne in October. This should be something different and sounds exciting, and I am sure to meet some new people and see and help some good wildlife. With holidays ending, and the chance of getting out to a (good) nature reserve out of the question, it's slightly frustrating.
Last week, a quick walk to Wandsworth Common had [no Night Heron,] a Hobby, 2 Sparrowhawk, a few GSWs and a few Chiffchaff. In the garden we found a Vapourer moth caterpillar - a rather sinister looking creature which is still moving around the same place.
Tomorrow I might sneak a little visit to Morden Hall, where I might be lucky to see something unusual. 

No comments:

Post a Comment