Wednesday 30 August 2017

Ham Wall RSPB - 16th August 2017

To be honest, with school creeping up on me, I completely forgot about this. Two weeks ago, on our way back from Cornwall, we stopped off at this reserve.
On the way there, I spotted a few Buzzard, Hobby etc and another bird which I'm about 80% sure was a Honey-Buzzard, somewhere between Okehampton and Taunton. From a moving car I'm not saying anything confidently though. 
When we pulled into the car park at Ham Wall, I saw a new mammal for me. A Stoat darted across the car park, towards the longer grass. As we reached the first viewing platform, a single Reed Warbler darted around and a few twitchers said that a Great White Egret was skulking around, as was a Bittern. Though we saw neither at this point, a Kingfisher flew by and several Little Egret were fishing. As we walked on, I got an incredible 1 second view of the Glossy Ibis flying off into a channel about 200m away. There was also a pair of Marsh Harriers circling over that area, possibly the cause of the Ibis' departure. However, another Great White Egret flew in from the East. 

Great White Egret
Marsh Harriers

Great White Egret
Stonehenge with a Starling
The light was so poor I couldn't get any more decent pictures. We left soon after, after seeing a bittern fly into the reeds. On the way back to London, we drove past Stonehenge where a few common birds were seen. 

The day after, while filling a feeder up in the garden a few alarm calls alerted to me to a Sparrowhawk. The Sparrowhawk alerted me to another raptor much higher up, slowly drifting North East. With only a pair of binoculars, I could make out the orange cap and broad wings of a Marsh Harrier, a nice surprise. Since then, barely anything has been seen bar a few final Swifts and Swallows heading south. On the 27th, while playing a cricket match at Cheam cricket club, another first for me flew over calling - a single Yellow Wagtail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment