Thursday 17 August 2017

Cornwall - Day 1, Looe and Arrival

Just got back from a brilliant trip to Cornwall, which I'll break down into about 5 posts. Firstly, on the 8th I was playing in a cricket tournament and managed to spot 2 Buzzard (moulting,) 2 Sparrowhawk, 1 Kestrel and a Green Sandpiper all over from the farmlands during that time. 
Common buzzard

Common Buzzard
After leaving at 5am on the 9th, we got to Looe - a town near our cottage - at around 10:30am. I was surprised to see around 20 Little Egrets all busily fishing on the river, and in the trees all around. Also there were 9 Oystercatcher, 2 Grey heron and lots of gulls. The egrets all showed well from very close, which was nice to see. 
Oystercatchers
Little Egret
  
Little Egret + fish

Little Egret

Little egret stare

Little Egret fishing
At about 2:30pm, we arrived at out cottage which had a nice little garden (and spiderless rooms!)
For a few hours we chilled in the garden, where I found a Wall Brown, Green-veined white and Ringlet in the flowers, as well as a moth which I've never seen before in a tree. 
Camourflaging Wall Brown

moth. (Carpet?)
Then I noticed a nice little surprise fly into the fuchsias in the garden. A fantastic little Hummingbird Hawkmoth! I got a few decent record shots, before it flew off towards the adjacent fields.

Hummingbird Hawkmoth

Hummingbird Hawkmoth

Hummingbird Hawkmoth
A nice day to start, with the hawkmoth being a new creature for me. Still 6 days to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment