Sunday 4 March 2018

Beddington Farmlands - remnants of the Beastfromtheeast, 4th March 2018

When I saw that there was a LNHS trip to the farmlands this Sunday led by Derek, I couldn't say no. I have to say that my expectations were for very little - with the Beast from the East mostly gone, taking most of the stragglers with it and most of the other waders fleeing south and west, I didn't really think there would be much hanging around. I'll try and keep this post as short as possible. 

At around 9:40am, once let in as a group of just under 10, we headed around the South Lake with Fieldfare, Redwing, Mipits, the Kestrel and a Cetti's Warbler greeting us. As we approached the part between the two lakes, we met with two other birders - apologies I'm awful with names - who got us onto a Golden Plover which was hanging around on the grass with a Lapwing, offering some fantastic views through the scope, and a fine bird to have as my first Golden Plover. Unfortunately the camera is still messed up so I could only phonescope. It promptly flew off calling, and it - or another - was briefly seen later on.

One of the main aims was to find Jack Snipe, but we only saw around 50 Common Snipe in the end. While looking out for them as we walked towards the lagoons on the eastern side of the farmlands, a Stonechat, 4 Fieldfare, c.10 Redwing and 4 Meadow Pipit (and 4 flying Wigeon) were noted on the banks. A smallish flock of 15 Linnet were feeding nearby too. As we approached the largest, main lagoon we stopped in search of Water Pipit. Up to 3 were seen feeding amongst the Pied Wagtails viewed through scopes, and 2 Dunlin were found feeding - some good scope views were obtained but pictures were impossible. 

The main target otherwise to find one of the 2 Ruff that were present. We headed to the enclosed lagoons further SW, and the Ruff (oddly) called revealing its location and flew up out a lagoon alongside a group of Lapwing - of which upwards of 50 were seen. It flew very close giving good binocular flight views, but for some reason it was very flighty and never settled in a specific area. After getting muddy enough to admit defeat we started to head back towards the lakes, stopping off only thrice more first to watch a Little Egret, then an adult male Stonechat, and also a few Reed Buntings. As we approached the South Lake again Derek got a message from Kevin - I can't believe I missed seeing you today - that there was a Med gull on the lake. After a few seconds it was found, and showed well for a good time. I even got a decent phonescoped pic of it. We watched it for a few minutes and then gradually made our way towards the gate - somewhat unwillingly. 
Another great day at the Farmlands, with 61 species (incl. some I probably forgot) seen today. Though we missed any Jack Snipe it was a fairly successful visit, with decent weather, decent birds and good birders - overall another pretty good day in the field!

Thanks to Derek who led the walk, and to the group for tolerating me.

Before the spring starts, I'd still like a Woodcock. Need to keep looking...

barely a Golden Plover

ad Med Gull 

5 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your trip to the Farm... I was on a mission to find a remnant from the Beast from the East that day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely you were satisfied with the haul from the 1st!
      Either way I was happy to settle for the Golden Plover and Med Gull, though obviously another remnant would have been great.

      Delete
  2. Yes I was happy...Just got a notion in my head that there was something else that had dropped in and had not been found.. Med Gull these days is uncommon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I was pleased with the Med Gull, and Golden Plover.
    What kind of bird were you thinking to have dropped in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yellowhammer is very rare at the Farm so that was a possibility during the hard weather or a Bunting sp.

    ReplyDelete