Thursday 29 March 2018

Morden Hall Park - Urban Rangers and a patch tick! 25th March 2018

I had the final Urban Rangers session of the month on Sunday, and after arriving slightly late for a number of reasons - including forgetting that clocks went forward - I remembered we were doing some fun work. When I arrived I could see a big cart of brown material near to where we were working in the rose gardens, and some of the group taking it out and putting it into wheelbarrows. I got stuck in - not literally thankfully - to the work and the next couple of hours involved mulching the beds of the rose garden, improving the soil to help the flowers grown in the coming weeks and months, using the horse's dung. I've never been one to be as interested in plants and flowers, though I do care for their conservation - I'm not into insects as much as birds but I am a fan of moths and butterflies.  
From 9:30 till around 12 we worked on the beds, completing around 10 of them by the end of the day. Fortunately, the smell wasn't that bad, though I probably carried out it around with me for a little while before I cleaned up - that might explain the faces I received over the course of the day!

Whilst in the session I didn't focus on birding much, other than when we had a short break - other than the usual Grey Wagtails and Robins and Wrens etc, there was a lot of noise from the trees, with numerous Nuthatches and woodpeckers active, as well as the first summer Blackcap for me, which momentarily released some song before remembering it was going to rain later on. The odd Chiffchaff sung, and it was overall a pretty enjoyable morning.
After 12 we had a little pottery session, as part of something for the national trust. I had thought I needed to leave at 1, without a patch walk, but plans changed enough for me to sneak in a 40 minute walk around the patch.
It started off very quiet, and the first half an hour went by without a single bird of interest. Not even the Kingfisher was found. Just as I was about to head back what I would say as empty-handed, I decided to do a final loop of the reedbeds, and the decision paid off. Just as I walked onto the actual boardwalk I heard a call as a bird called from the reedbeds, while another flew off landing on a distant tree. 2 Reed Bunting - an overdue patch tick! It was pleasing to watch the pair display, then disappear as I turned around. Hopefully they hang around a bit. Just before I left the Water Rails announced themselves, one calling loudly just opposite the viewing platform - it must have been 5 metres away, yet I still couldn't see it. There was another in Area [10,] also calling, and briefly showing distantly.
Typically I had to go at that point, but it was pleasing to get my 77th patch bird, and 72nd of the year. Not bad going at all!

This Easter I only have one birding aim - Little Owl. 

'Dave' Robin - likes biscuits (would make a good urban ranger.)

Wren

Wren

Wren

m Reed Bunting calling to mate



Grey Wagtail

4 comments:

  1. Arjun, is that an out-of-focus White-spotted Bluethroat above and behind the Grey Wagtail? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah I see it too...!
      That made me double check the photo before realising how gullible I am!

      Delete
  2. Hi Arjun, have you seen or heard any Tawny Owls at Morden Hall Park?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nirosh, no I haven't. Other birders/naturalists/rangers at the park have said that there are some Tawnies and possibly little owls but I've never seen/heard any myself unfortunately even on a bat walk. Hopefully I'll come across one by a chance encounter!

      Delete