Monday 26 March 2018

Newlands Corner - a little quiet, 23rd March 2018

Sorry due to private issues I'm a bit behind with my writing.

When my school announced a few months ago that, in preparation for our bronze DofE expedition in the summer, we would be going to Newlands Corner, I thought they had messed up. The last time something sounding as good as that was announced was 2 years ago and I missed it - a 4km Wandle walk. Either way as the H_______ have started spreading out across Surrey in the last few weeks (still 400 at Bramblehall and I'm still eager to try again - I haven't given up,) up to 50 have been loitering in the area around Newlands Corner. 
We arrived at just before 10am, and I'd already been wound up a little bit as, unsurprisingly, I'd brought my binoculars and camera. While some didn't give a damn about the wildlife, some also took a slight interest in what I was looking at. There was actually a decent start. As a friend 'admired' my binoculars, he managed to find a m Kestrel, a m Blackcap and Red Kite. When we started walking, very little was on show though it was loud in the sunshine. It took a little while before a few more birds began appearing before a rabble of teenagers, but numerous tit species (1 Marsh) and passerines were noted, though no Hawfinches. 
I had a few friends accompanying me in my nature stuff, and the sharp-eyed friend who'd already picked up the previous 3 found me 3 Buzzard and a Raven. The walk continued, and it was pleasant talking to our 2 leaders about nature and birds in general, with my Latin and Classics especially interested! I also got support from the teacher leading it who was kind enough to tell the load of people thinking it was bloody hilarious to point at everything that moved, say 'o look a bird' and laugh at me off! 
For a good hour nothing was seen bar a Little Egret out of a lake - not sure where it was! 2 Siskin and a Sparrowhawk were noted at one point, but besides absolutely nothing for a good 45 minutes. 
Between 11:30 and 1:30 very little was seen. The same friend picked up a group of bird moving along a tree line miles away, and I couldn't even see them. Then a white bird moving along some fields disappeared. 

Just as I thought it would be a Hawfinch blank again I heard the ticking then 'sip,' 200m SWW of the car park. And I SAW it. There were 3 more flying over the treeline, quite a way away. I made a sacrifice however at this point - while I perhaps should have got my first record shot of a Hawfinch, I tried to help get another teacher, who had been supporting my birding throughout, onto it. oh well - you don't get everything. And all from the 8 mile walk finished with the second singing Skylark of the year a short distance away, well heard and identified by another birding friend.
Before we left another Red Kite appeared with a few missing feathers, and I spent 15 minutes trying to get some nice photos of the tits at the feeders. Not a bad way to spend a Friday - a shame I didn't get better views or pictures of the Hawfinches yet again. I'm trying!

One more thing I should say to regulars at the area - very near the car park on the south slope there was a few clumps of bushes low down. While walking past a small bird darted further in, with a very Dartford Warbler-like shape. As we were walking I didn't get time to stop but it might be worth a check.
Badger?


One of my best ever Nuthatch shot!

A view

Robin

Chaffinch

Red Kite 


No comments:

Post a Comment